Friday, August 2, 2019

March 14-17, Hard Weekend

 Micah couldn't wait to give Grandpa his picture of the tractor. 
When we all saw him though, we couldn't believe how much he had aged.  he looks about 20 years older and just like his dad.  He difficulty talking and seemed quite confused and very weak.

 He was glad we were there but was also tired.  He asked me to come in right away as he had something to tell me.  he told me to close the door.  He made a joke about me being his favorite daughter in law then told me not to tell:)  He told me he didn't plan this out but wanted to tell me he was thankful for me.  He kept repeating to me, "carry on, Lori, carry on.  You know what I mean.  Carry on."  he cried and then said he hoped he made sense.  I think he was trying to tell me he was proud of me and wanted me to keep doing what I was doing.
 I told him I loved him too, was thankful for him and would keep teaching them about Jesus.  he told Brent he was proud of him, to raise Godly children, and to make Christ the center of his funeral. He told Elli and Micah that when we lose, he wins.  I think he got it backwards:)  He also told them his favorite hymn was "When we all get to heaven."  Elli told him she would play some hymns on the piano for him at his funeral.  He had asked her to sing.
 Lance and Devin are here right now.  Becca comes tonight and Jenna in a couple of days. They are taking turns caring for him, feeding him, helping him to the bathroom, and helping him shower. 
 Still a bit of a cut up.
 Not easy to see him like this.  We have all cried quite a bit.
 Donna also came into town to spend some time with her brother.  Everyone seems to be making the trip as if we know what is coming.  I can't stand it.  it is so terrible to watch someone get weaker and weaker.
 It takes a lot of patience.
 Linda has not left his side.  We decided to get out of the house and take a walk by the lake.  She does try to get out here every couple of days.  It is hard to leave though unless someone else is there to take over.  He calls for her through the night as well.  He did call for Brent that first night.
 Micah was so excited to see Uncle Donald.  Donald is really having a very difficult time with Larry being sick.  He can hardly stand to see him like this.  He keeps saying, "That's not my big brother in there."  So sad.
 He enjoyed having people stay with him and often wanted people to just be there with him.  The kids had a hard time seeing him like this though.
 These pictures of his kids caring for him are precious and difficult.  I am so glad I was able to capture these memories.
 He just cannot eat.  He has no appetite and what he does eat just comes back up.
 Becca made it and jumped right in to help.
 You can see just how small Larry has gotten.
When we were getting ready to leave, Larry cried and said he understood we had to get back.  It was so hard to leave.  This is not the kind of visit that is easy but it is needed.  I am really thankful for the time with him and these pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment