We stayed in a resort right on the Adriatic Sea. I stayed in a room all by myself and God granted me a weekend of no fear to be alone. My room though had a couple of issues. At first, the door to the balcony didn't lock and my bed was only a box spring. Those things were corrected and it ended up being great.
I taught 4 out of 5 session times with two sessions on grit and perseverance, one on essential questions, and one on hands-on mathematics.
After that first night we got to participate in a party in the lobby of the hotel. Some of the Albanian teachers, quickly our new friends, taught us some traditional Albanian dance. It was so fun, tiring, and loud!
These ladies, Maragret, (friend whose name I have forgotten), Elona, Alma, Vasilika, and Elona's daughter, became friends very quickly. Elona, Alma, and Vasil, are three of 4 sisters also with a brother. They have an amazing story of coming to Jesus and each have been given a vision from God to start Christian schools for Albania. As of the day I am writing this entry, I have helped send them their first teacher, just graduated from Cedarville, for a school opening on faith in the fall. Elona told her story with the help of her sisters of blood feud in her city of Skoder and how her husband was actually killed through blood feud. It is a tear jerker and a story of faith all at the same time. I have been drawn in to pray and they are on my mind a lot.
This is my translator, Laura. She and I had so much fun together, again quickly becoming friends. She has an amazing story of not being able to learn to play violin in her younger years due to the communist control, but when she was adult, finding a teacher who believed in her. She now plays violin simply because she always wanted to. I love her story. As of today, she is now living in Las Vegas with her parents. I hope to visit her one day.
I ran each day on the beach and was even able to stick my feet in the Adriatic Sea. Can you believe this was once where the Apostle Paul traveled?
Each of these ladies was a presenter at the conference. They too are new friends.
They thinking 30 would come, planned for 50, cut off registration at 100!!!!! Such an amazing experience. I am o very glad I got to be part of it.
Greg Vossler is the one who asked me to go and made sure we met many different people.
Margaret had a former student from Nepal who married and Albanian and is living in Tirana, the capital city. We were in Durres, not far away and Lizzie came with her family to pick us up. We stayed with her Saturday night and Sunday night. They took us from the conference on Saturday into Duress as we were just a bit outside the city. We got to see this old Roman Ampitheater.
These wall murals are still clearly seen.
I thought it was unique to see the variety of homes and to think they were right across the street from this structure that is so very old!
This is the backyard of Lizzie's house. Very unique setting but beautiful as well.
We got to go to church with them. Their kids along with several others, sang in church that morning. How fun to be able to praise God all the way in Albania.
We were then taken to Skoder, 2 hours north, for an authentic, all organic, Albanian meal. On the way, Lizzie's husband Nic told me a bit of Albania's history. They have these bunkers all over the country from the communist rule to prevent attack and take over. Lots of fear under communism.
Lizzie and Nic's friends joined us for the day.
It was a great crew. We had an amazing time. We had a 12 course, or more, dinner. We ate all kinds of things like various bird eggs, orange blossoms, baby pig, and all kinds of other yummies.
This is the view from the castle in Skoder. The city spreads out to the base of the mountains and to the river that leads out to the rest of Europe. This was the last hold out in Albania when the Ottoman Empire came through trying to take over Europe for Islam. Fascinating.
Castle view as we approached.
Variety of homes again. New mixed with old, half finished homes because they build it whenever they have the money.
So cool to be in a place of so much history.
I thought this view of the flag was pretty cool. Speaking of cool, it got super cold! The wind was relentless up here:)
We found this cool stairwell that seemed to go into a tiny hole in the ground. It opened into what looked to be a storage room of sorts. I really had an amazing time in this place of history. it helped me love this land and these people even more. I really would like the chance to come back.
This picture got out of order, but one morning when I went for a run, a pack of stray/wild dogs circled me and then started barking, and nipping at me. I was afraid they would attack for real and was walking towards the water praying they would leave me alone. Finally, with the help of a man walking on the beach towards me, the last dog left me alone. Though they jumped on me, none of them bit me. Thank you, Jesus. In the background you can see me last follower. Scary

























No comments:
Post a Comment