Saturday, November 23, 2013

St. Nick, Nov. 23, 2013

Tonight, after shopping for Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes, Elli asked if we could keep anything that didn't fit in the box.  I told her that this was about showing kindness to others, not about us, and if it didn't fit, we would find someone to give it to.  I then explained how there were people all over the world who did not have enough money for gifts, maybe not even enough for the things they need like food and clothes.  She then wanted to know if St. Nick was real and if so, why didn't he give gifts to everyone.  Oh man.
So, I explained that St. Nicholas was a real person and that he was known for his generosity and for giving to others.  I then explained that is one reason we give gifts at Christmas time and it should be a good reminder to us to show the love of Jesus by giving to others at the very time of year that we celebrate Jesus's birthday. (She then said that we are not sure if Christmas is the actual day Jesus is born, but that it may be this time of tear.  Thank you Elli) 
So, then she asked if St Nick died.  I said he did.  She then asked if Santa Claus could be real because if St. Nick died, then how could there be another one.  I asked her what she thought which has been my answer to this question the last couple of years.  She said, "Mommy, just tell me if he is real, because I don't see how he could be and I have a feeling you ate all the cookies last year."  I then told her how I believed in Santa Claus for a long time and then realized one day that it was really Gonga and Papa.  Her eyes got really big, she smiled, and said, "Really?"  I had to explain that what I meant was that I realized my mommy and daddy were the ones sneaking out when I was asleep and putting presents under the tree  for me.
I then explained that giving gifts and referring to Santa Claus has become a tradition.  We continue to pretend that Santa Claus gives gifts even though the moms and dads make it happen.  I also told her that it seems like Santa Claus is more important then Jesus and she agreed we need to be careful how we talk about it.
I am not sure she has it all figured out, because she asked again if Santa was real.  I told her daddy ate all the cookies and left it at that.
I did ask her if she thought Jesus was real.  She said she knows He is because the Bible tells us about Him and the Bible is real.  Amen!
Now for some adorable pictures from decorating the tree today.
 Micah was not really sure what to think.
 Now he is ready for some ornaments.


Elli was such a big help this year, hanging the ornaments, and simply helping.  She was very excited and ready to help Micah as well.  It was a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment